To ensure that your chalkboard is long lasting and looks as good as it did the day it was installed, it is important that you properly care for it and complete some regular maintenance. These simple tasks will prevent your board from breaking, prematurely wearing out and becoming unreadable. If you aren’t quite sure how you should be caring for your chalkboard, read on for tips:
- Whenever you need to transport your board, make sure that it is wrapped in protective padding. This will prevent the brittle materials that it is made out of from breaking if it is dropped.
- After having a new chalkboard installed, make sure that you prepare its surface for use by rubbing a piece of chalk across the surface. Erase the dust before attempting to write.
- Only use a soft felt cloth, a chamois or an eraser made out of the same material to rub out the chalk from your board. If using an eraser, avoid scraping the surface with the block of wood at all costs.
- Wash your chalkboard on the odd occasion using water and a non-abrasive cleaner. Dip some felt or a chamois into the mixture and wipe the surface with circular motions.
- Do not store furniture or other heavy items against your board, especially if they have sharp edges and corners. This can actually scratch and dent the surface.
By following the above tips as regularly as possible, you will ensure that your chalkboard is as well cared for as possible and that it will last you well into the future. Failing to complete even a few of these tips once or twice could result in the premature aging of your chalkboard and the dire need to replace it with a brand new one.